Pain with ODP.NET
- libraries are version specific - Must have 10g ODP.Net for 10g install, 11g for 11g, etc.
- The ODP.Net drivers rarely work with Visual Studio tooling, and I think still lack any support for LINQ or EF.
- Bad support
- Memory leaks with CLOB
Good (contradictions though)
- ODP.NET 11g works with any version of Oracle Database back to 9.2
This enhancement was introduced starting in ODP.NET 10.2.0.4
- Multiple versions of ODP.NET can live on the same box as well
- XCOPY deployment. You no longer need to use the Oracle Installer to install. We give you files and you just need to gac a few DLLs and update the registry. To download this version look for the “ODAC with Xcopy” download in the list.
June 2009: “System.Data.OracleClient” deprecated in .NET 4
Oracle ODP.NET: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/dotnet/msoc/index.html
DataDirect Technologies : http://www.datadirect.com/index.ssp
Oracle Developer Tools for VS2010